Confession: I geek out on marketing. Creating materials, getting it out to the world, and getting feedback so I can do it all over again gives me a major sense of accomplishment. Emails, social ads, even designing snail mail is fun for me.
But there’s one form of marketing that works faster than the rest….
SPEAKING! (In person.)
This is the way I built my business in record time. Before I had the support of a team, I spent about 70% of my marketing time looking for speaking opportunities- and it paid off in a major way!
If you struggle finding places to speak, try some of these tips:
1) Schedule research time! You must spend research time to find places to speak. If you are a career coach for women and you live in Raleigh, NC you might Google the following: Women’s organizations, career associations, churches, social clubs- all in North Carolina.
2) Follow up! Email or call any contact you find with an initial request and let them know you will be following up. Then, follow up appropriately until you get an answer. This is crucial to getting more gigs- most people fail in the follow up!
3) Craft a killer title! When you land your first speaking gig you will write that speech very quickly. Your primary focus should be going after the opportunities first and crafting the message second, but you should have a title ready. A killer title is one with specifics! Here are some great examples:
* 3 Steps to Increase Your Profits by 50% in 30 Days
* 5 Secrets to Lose 10% Body Weight and Lower Cholesterol
* 3 Ways to Change Your Career This Month
4) Monetize! When you land that first speech you may or may not be paid. No worries! Be sure to have two things ready when you go: a) A way to collect all the names for your database. I suggest raffling of a month of your services, a spa basket, or a book depending on your target market. b) Have something to offer them at a special deal if they sign up with you that evening. (i.e. your new group forming is $199 per month, but if they register today it is $149)
5) Don’t be a character! The best way to speak is from the heart. Don’t try to be over professional or perfect. People enjoy being inspired by people they can relate to. Have fun, bring your personality out, and tell your story. Have a good time on stage and your audience will follow.
Speaking can build your list fast, get people to know, like, and trust you on the spot, and you can close the sale without selling. Get ready, go out, and speak!